Why You Won’t Be Able to Rent out Your Property From 1 April 2018

Why You Won’t Be Able to Rent out Your Property From 1 April 2018


What is MEES?

MEES stands for Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards which will come into effect on 1 April 2018.

What does this mean?

The government introduced MEES which states that any property with an EPC rating of ‘F’ or ‘F-below’ may not be rented out from 1 April.

Every property has an EPC rating (Energy Performance Certificate). The rating scale is colour coded and alphabetised. An ‘A’ rating (Dark Green) means the property is highly energy efficient. A ‘G’ rated property (Red) has a very low efficiency rating.

How does it affect me as a landlord?

If your property has a rating of ‘F’ or ‘F’ below, you won’t be able to rent out private domestic and non-domestic property in England and Wales. If you do, you can face financial penalties of up to £5000.

The local authority may also publish details of the breach on the national PRS Exemptions Register.

How can I increase my Energy Efficiency Rating?

Here’s some tips to boost that EPC rating:

  1. Replace your boiler. An energy-efficient model could save you money on your energy bill.
  2. Switch old-fashioned light bulbs. LED bulbs are the most efficient. It’ll save you around £70 over its lifespan.
  3. Replace the insulation in your loft. Make sure it’s at least 270mm thick. This will give your home’s energy efficiency a huge boost.
  4. Install modern double glazing. Replacing older windows can pay dividends in energy efficiency. It will also add value to your home.
  5. Insulate any cavity walls.
  6. Consider solar panels. Install it on your roof to generate your own free energy.
  7. Use an efficient secondary heating source. If you have a fireplace for example, install a wood burning stove. They score high on EPC ratings and they’re eco-friendly.
  8. Control your temperature. Install modern controls such as a room thermostat. You can also install individual, thermostatic radiator valves

If your property is rated as an ‘F’ or ‘G’ and you believe you qualify for an exemption, you have to register an exemption on the National PRS Exemptions Register.

What if I Can’t Comply?

The register service is currently running as a pilot. Landlords who wish to register an exemption for a domestic or non-domestic property as part of this pilot should e-mail the BEIS minimum standards team at [email protected]

If you need any more information or assistance on MEES and how to comply, feel free to contact us. Email: [email protected] or Tel: 01633 265222.




Copyright © Luscombe & Co Newport Letting Agents